Waiting



machines tick and whir.
muffled voices speak
behind face masks.
bright lights 
that my boy can't see
make his white skin glow
and his long black eyelashes 
gleam.
one side of his brain
is exposed now.
a flap of skin hangs 
and a piece of skull sits
in a stainless steel dish 
nearby.
his chest rises and falls.
surgeons work 
under hot lights 
with steady hands.
my son does his part
and stays strong.
the angels surround
and guide a surgeon's hands.
his father and I 
leave our bodies waiting
in soft black chairs
in the lobby
to hover
in the operating room,
where we silently watch
and protect.

Comments

  1. That is beautiful. I have no doubt the operating room is full guides and protectors! Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. beautiful! God is holding his precious hands!
    Ms Lucente & Susan

    ReplyDelete
  3. You and Em and you poetry...makes me cry every time! Love and strength to you, Andy and your Super Hero.

    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  4. So real and honost and touching and beautiful. Moved me to tears!!!
    I can only imagine how you guys feel in the black chairs. I am so far removed from where you are and what you have been going through and I am overwhelmed. The both of you and especailly Lincoln are my inspiration.
    Love,
    Patti

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can feel your heart in every line.

    ReplyDelete
  6. YOU THREE ARE JUST AN AWESOME FAMILY, AND EVA COMPLIMENTS YOU ALL. WE LOVE YOU AND IN OUR WAY, WE ARE WAITING IN THOSE BLACK CHAIRS WITH YOU.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Whoa Steph... powerful! Can you see those Guardian Angels waiting with you?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts