Hi everyone.  It's been a looooong time since I've really written.  Not sure if now will be the time either.  Since we've come home it's been hard to find the time to squeeze in the really long, verbose posts that I liked unloading on you while we were stuck in the hospital.  At that time I had all the time in the world.  But LIFE goes on, which is great, which is what we count on.  And Lincoln looks great.  We meet with his neuropsychologist (Dr. Hess) once a week to "check in" on Lincoln's progress .  Lincoln LOOOOOVES these quick appointments because he finds a sick, warped pleasure in watching his mom get scolded, weekly, by Dr.  Hess.  Dr. Hess keeps reminding me that we have to take it "slooow", "just be gentle..." he says sweetly and frequently.  But really, this goes against my nature.  I want improvement and I want it YESTERDAY. Lincoln is working his tail off in therapies.  He's usually so exhausted after a day at Sunnyview that he sleeps the whole ride home and then when he gets home he lays down on the couch, sometimes to continue sleeping and sometimes to watch TV (I'm not thrilled by this - but Dr. Hess very kindly intimates for me to "BACK OFF, MOM, let the kid watch TV" and then shares a knowing smile with Lincoln).   I liken the BRINGING BACK OF LINCOLN'S ARM to a triathlon (which I'm not training for this year).   And I think of every therapy session as a workout; swim, bike, run = Speech, OT, PT.  So I erroneously think that if I can train hard for a triathlon, then he can "train" even harder to BRING BACK HIS ARM AND HAND.  But I'm learning that it doesn't work like that.  There's a whole cerebral component, the healing of the brain, that I often forget to take into account.  Dr. Hess is like a little conscience on my shoulder, always reminding me to "take it slooow, be gentle with him...." - and on my other shoulder is an impatient, caffeinated ME; a drill sergeant, yelling and scaring him out of bed, "Get up, Soldier! LET'S GOOOOO!"  Poor kid.  Today I will will make a greater effort to take it easy on him.  (and I'll lay off the caffeine.)

Have a great day!

Comments

  1. It is not just you Stephanie, we live in a world where we all want quick
    gratification, but sometimes we have to slow down, stop, and SMELL THE ROSES. You are entirely too hard on YOURSELF, thus thinking if you let Lincoln slack off for a few hours a day, it is somehow a reflection on your parenting skills. Sweetheart, no one has and is working harder than you and Andy. Give Lincoln and his body the time it needs to heal and the rest will take care of itself. YOU ARE AWESOME PARENTS, GO EASY ON YOURSELVES TOO!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Think of today's therapy as "time on the couch w/ my mom and my favorite show..."

    And maybe some green tea too.

    Love you

    ReplyDelete
  3. Steph you sound just like this other lady I know. Always wants things done yesterday. In fact I think she lives across from you. She also learned this from her mother, who has now passed. So the circle goes on. So glad Lincoln has a sense of humor. Love you all.

    PS Tale a DEEEEEEP Breath.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts