We're Back!





So we’re back. It was pretty tough for a while. He went from being off meds for seven days to being put on a higher dosage of meds after a week of sleep deprivation (Ritalin and coffee), Benadryl for the itch, and a seizure. When we got him home he was a MESS. He was angry, aggressive, weepy and exhausted. He was tough to watch. We all tried to steer clear of him and just treat him gently for a few days. He did great his first day back at school, and had a really hard time getting up today, his second day. He’s back to normal now, he smiles, laughs, and hugs…he’s a joy.

I talked with Howard Weiner, Lincoln’s surgeon, today. While he’s not pressuring us to do anything, he did suggest that the next course of action should be a Wada test, then grids and strips, then possibly a partial resection with more grids and strips (…or is this the only time we use grids and strips? – as you can see, we have to talk A LOT more), then, finally, the last part of the surgery. My details are sketchy because to be honest, I zoned out after a few minutes into this conversation. It was all too much to process. Thankfully Howard is very accessable, as are our other two doctors. I have to call Dr. Devinsky, our neurologist. In short, we have many more stays at NYU ahead of us.

He did say that, yes, Lincoln could get the use of his left hand back with lots of therapy. This is very encouraging. The OT at the hospital told L that the more work he does now with his left hand, the easier it will be after surgery. This must have made quite an impression on him because after she left he very painstakingly and silently worked on buttoning his shirt (one button). It took him quite a long time but he did it – and it was a very small button too!

Eva, Lincoln’s supportive and loving sister, is now working with a new friend to create a blog about being the siblings of children with epilepsy, who’ve also gone through the epilepsy surgery. Griffin (her new friend) has a twin who had surgery a few years ago with Howard Weiner. Griffin has been a great support for Eva.

Speaking of support, I can’t thank all of the faculty at GCS enough for their support. Coming back on Monday was like walking into a great big hug. I can keep myself together until I see you gals (and some guys). Thanks for always taking such good care of the four of us. And the students…so innocent and honest and caring… I could cry all over again!

Comments

  1. you all need the support love and hugs you receive. but more importantly you deserve them too. Just know you are not alone, we are all there with you and I am personally astonished how you all are handling this entire ordeal. Hang in there and thank you for sharing your feelings,heartbreaks, and accomplishments with us.
    We love you all to the moon and back!!!!!!!
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your back!! You have so much on your plate. You have put my life into perspective. So this one gets a 72% (agasp!) on a test. That turns my life upside down. What you (when I say you, I say all of you).. have done is made me see how irrelevant (thats the biggest word I can use, sad, true(feel free to look it up)). In my hearts of hearts, I just know it will all turn out just the way you want it. I have never been an optimist, but I can't see it happening any other way. I feel it in my bones. All your hard work will pay off, more than you can ever imagine. Again, I just know it....

    Happy Birthday Lincoln!

    Love,
    Patti, and those other three! and Sadie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You two are too sweet! It's all okay, it really is. It's just so big. It's like his birth all over again.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts