Ok... I'm getting tired of writing this post. You can't tell, of course, but I've written about two pages worth already and I don't like it.. so i keep on deleting it. Now you know.. So here goes.. stream of consciousness.. too much fun for one person.... The day started off fine. My neck freaked out, which really sucked.. it hurts still. But a fine, cold and sunny mornng. We left at 10:30. Stph drove (I couldn't. Thanks Steph!) She's getting pretty good at driving to the city! And through the city.. still a little timid when assertiveness is required, but doing VERY well!

I think we made it to 34th St in record time today, too.. Just a bit over two hours. Ok, so we arrived with extra time before our appointment at 2:15 and we decided to walk around and see what was shakin' in the city.. Steph saw a church that we have walked past a hundred times and said she wanted to check it out. I had a bad feeling about it (it's a CHURCH after all!) and it looked ...well, I think it's ugly:



After a few minutes outside I went in after them, afraid they might be converting.. The doors on this church are huge and they made an enormous clang when I shut it.. I couldn't slow it
down as it was shutting because the damn thing was so heavy and it was a terrible, stee
ly bang that echoed inside the holy stone box house for what felt like an eternity! (I apologized to the wee little priest fella who was sitting behind a desk to the left of the door.. I suppose it happens all day. But I honestly felt so bad about it that I almost put a buck or two in the collection basket!) Anyway, there were some nice features inside, but, as a hole, it was unexciting. Lincoln and I left before Steph (it was giving me the creeps) and Lincoln LOVED the door knob -on those HUGE doors- told me that I HAD to take a picture of them. Of course I did:


We then waited for Steph to pop her head out.. she came out completely before I could get my shot off... just my phone camera.. And she then stood and held that enormous door open, with high winds coming straight from the Arctic Circle blowing into the church, just to get a shot of the inside knob!
PUT LION KNOB PHOTO HERE... from Steph's iPhotos
Well, I kind of urged her to shut the damn door... I think I said, "You know, they are paying to heat this place..." or some sharp comment like it.. and she began to close the door... that enourmous metal door.. That BAAANNNGGGSS when it closes.. I said "GET THE DOOR! GET THE DOOR!" Then I remembered how it almost grabbed my hand when i closed it when Lincoln and I came out..(I was smart enough to get my hand out from between the two 6-inch bronze doors...my mitten got caught tho')..so I said "WATCH YOUR HANDS!!!!!!!! Ughh! It is killing me to think bout... Steph DIDN'T get her hand out in time... Take a look up at that two-headed eagle door know thingie... see that 1/10cm space around the eagle's chest? That's where Steph's (long, lovely and feminine) finger paid the highest sacrifice. It dulled the CLANG of the door... In fact, the door shut this time, yet it made not a noise.... Uhhh.. my stomach is flipped again just thinking about it....
I hope Steph posts about this... It was pretty traumatic... I feel terrible about it.. Lucky for me though, Steph was raised Catholic, so she says God is punishing her.. it's all her fault. (!!??!!) I'm obsolved :)
We went to a Dunkin Donuts nearby (Steph told me that the same people working in there have saved her a few times before) and ordered Lincoln a sandwhich and cocoa, Steph got a decaf (light and sweet, just like me) and a chocolate glazed donut with Mayo and bacon... and the woman saw her holding her bloddy stump of a finger (Oh, I forgot to tell you! It was chopped clean off! Nooo!! JK!) and got her a cup of ice with water for her to put her finger stigmata in... She is a sweet woman! (Dr Harter said New Yorkers get a bad rap.. he's right!)
PUT BLOODY WATER PHOTO HERE___FROM STEPHS PICS

Well, enough fun, already! We went to our appointment (rode the elevator for a while until we figured out which floor we needed) and finally met the other half of Lincoln's neurosurgeon Team, Dr. David Harter. He is just like Dr. Weiner and Drs. Singh and Devinsky, in that he LISTENS to us when we are talking to him, he explains things to us without rushing or talking down at us... etc etc... I'm just so glad he's on our team... our own Dream Team for our Superhero..
Seated from left to right are Dr. Harter, Lincoln, and Dr. Weiner...
Please keep them all in your thoughts!
Just look at that wonderful, beautiful smile!! What a brave young man...
I'm a lucky Dad
:)


Comments

  1. Andy, It was so great to hear your view of the day and a beautiful pic of your dream team. Thank you both for keeping us up to date on the happenings, I know it cannot be easy for any of you, but by sharing with us it helps us to try our best to help you. I love you all so much it hurts and my heart aches for what you all are going through. Love to all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. He has been long on courage from day one. He's had great example from his mother and father, and the best little sister whose demonstrated wisdom and understanding belies her age.

    We are lucky grandparents.

    (and parents too Andy&Steph! speaking for us and Bobbi&Terry)

    And I echo Bobbi's well said comments.

    Love from Maine Murphs

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts