My Sweet Baby's Neck

I'm torn between lifetimes
and saddened by how 
my daughter has grown
so unnaturally fast.
I hug her tight 
when we kiss goodnight 
and linger longer than usual
because I need to smell the baby in her.
So I bury my face in her neck
and listen for her baby's breath
in my ear
but it's not there.
Like an angel she giggles anyway
because of course she thinks 
I'm nuts.
I plead with her, "Don't you remember?
Don't you remember when you were a baby
and I'd rock you like this?"
But to her I'm batty
and I don't care
because I'm no longer here.
I'm rocking my baby
the one with the warm neck
who makes sweet baby breathing sounds
in my ear when I hold her
against my shoulder.
From somewhere outside myself
I hear my nine year old laughing
my hair tickles her cheek
and she squirms
but I don't let go.  
I need more time
to loose myself
in my sweet baby's neck.

Comments

Popular Posts