Update

It's been way too long...you poor, poor neglected blog.  Well, while this blog has been sitting idle, Lincoln has been working his tail off!

1.  He's really getting stronger!  I didn't see it for the longest time because we've been inseparable for so long; but after hearing his doctors rave about his improvement and watching him in therapy (I miss one day a week due to my class, I'm usually studying in the waiting room on the days that I am there) I can see it now!  I realized that I don't use the back of his shirt as a handle any more, and he has so much more stamina.

2.  He's had two follow up appointments.  His physiatrist was so impressed at his improvement just three months after surgery.  Took measurements of his arm movement (Greek to me) and announced the numbers with exclamation marks.  His neurosurgeons, Dr. Weiner and Dr. Harder, were once again like little kids  - thrilled.  Andy will have to tell you more of the details, but I think they said they've never seen anyone with so much returned function at this stage of recovery.  However, they were both very surprised that the use of his hand  has not returned.

3.  He has much more stamina during therapies.  His speech therapist is no longer the bane of his existence.  And with the addition "Lincoln's Rock CD" (made by his dad) and Mountain Dew, he can handle 30 minutes on the treadmill (strapped into a harness, so he doesn't get thrown from the machine - that's how fast it goes - I swear I thought he was going to have a heart attack when I first witnessed it).  He still hates much of OT, but his therapist is using electrical stimulation to make his hand grasp and open (always building neuropathways!), which is really amazing to see.  He cannot use his hand volitionally yet, but it's coming, it is.

Comments

  1. I second Jim's Yay!! with one of my own...Yay Lincoln!!! Way to go!! And a big yay to Mom and Dad too!!!

    Love,
    Alicia

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts