Another fall...with consequences

Lincoln fell again at school today.  No big deal for other kids, but when he falls it's news.  I got a call from his physical therapist saying that he heard the news and Lincoln's level of supervision now needs to be changed.  It's a big deal when a child with an injury falls, I guess.  He was previously on "stand by" which I believe literally meant someone had to stand by, or keep an eye on him when he walked.  Now his level of care has been upgraded to "Contact Guard", which means an aide has to keep a hand on him during all walking.  Uggggghhhh.  It breaks my heart, really.  He just wants to be independent and to not have so many people watching him throughout the day.  Now he'll actually have aides holding onto him.   I was thrilled that he was wearing the cast, in a way, because it protects his wrist from falls.  I am of the "let him go" camp.  Let the kid go, of course he's going to fall, but we can't keep him in a plastic bubble.  We can't prevent every fall.  So while he's got the hard cast on, let him go.  So now he's protected from falls, but even more isolated from peers.  He might as well be in a plastic bubble.
No wonder the kid hates school.

This being said, I can't be upset with the school, or therapists.  On the contrary.  These people all do such a phenomenal job of keeping Lincoln safe, (even the cafeteria and custodial staff!)  They are loving, kind and supportive to both Lincoln and his parents.
So who can I be upset with?
Lincoln?
Myself?
Over and over I've told him he needs to take his therapies more seriously, he'll only get out of them as much as he puts into them, bla, bla, bla.  Yea, I know, I'd tune me out too.
I can't be upset with anyone.
It is what it is.

Comments

Popular Posts