Last Dy of Camp


July 11,2014
Today is the last day of camp.   It's quiet here now. Both kids are sleeping.  We have a window open because there is finally a break in the heat and humidity.  Birds are chirping in the tree outside. It sounds like home.   I'm quiet now...all is quiet now. The city is slower now, sleepy, so I'm not as distracted by EVERYTHING.

So, you might be wondering if I see any progress at the close of this  three week camp.  My answer is a resounding YES.   I see progress and changes in all of us.  
Lincoln uses his left hand without prompting from me - much of the time....
He uses the left hand to stabilize bottles when opening them and dishes when washing them.  One of his own personal goals was to be able to CLAP.  How beautiful is that?  He wanted to be able to clap with two hands.  Last night we saw Bullets Over Broadway at the St James Theater and he clapped.  A lot.  It was beautiful to see.  It's not a clap like you or I use, but it is a functional clap nonetheless.  I am so proud of him.  He has been working on buttoning and zipping a pair of shorts at camp.  He makes his bed (here) each day USING TWO HANDS and he holds onto the bars while standing on both the subway and bus with his left as well as his right.  He NEVER complained about waking up for camp.  He would say that his hand hurt from all the exercise, but never complained about it.  He packed his own lunch each night as well.   

Both children grew from our stay in the city.  
They know how to use metro cards and where to buy them.
They understand how the buses and subways work (give your seat up for the elderly and women, etc).
They witnessed the crowds on Broadway after the shows let out.
They saw many beautiful examples of kindness between people - and occasionally some nastiness.   
They learned how you can make a dollar stretch and they learned how good it feels to give one away.

I learned a great deal as well.  But as the clock is ticking and the city is waking  I will make this short as I have to get Lincoln's tired butt moving.  Last night was a late night for us all.  
 I found a focus on this trip.  I have seen with my own eyes the changes that this camp has made - at NO COST TO US.  This camp, and Columbia's brain research, are funded solely by grants and donations.  On several occasions we parents were reminded of this, and reminded of the hard work of the VOLUNTEERS who work with our children.

Which leads me to my current focus:  I am dedicated to donating twenty percent of the profits from the sale of my artwork to brain research and helping families/children who live with the effects of hemispherectomies.  I know I've stated this already but the more I say it, the more the IDEA becomes a REALITY.

And now I have to hustle to get this boy to camp!


Comments

Popular Posts